Tuesday, July 29, 2008

For You Mom...

July 26th. The most embarrassing day of my life. And it had all the reasons to make me guilty for my mistake. On the 25th, mom and dad had called me to inquire about my studies and well-being. Dad being away from home does not call often. But mom calls almost on a regular basis. Most of the days, she used to ring me up in the morning or by noon. But on this particular day she had never called until afternoon. I thought she might be busy with household affairs, especially when grandma is sick and she had to take care of the house alone.

In the evening, she called me at 5pm. I had just woken after a siesta. I picked up my cell and said “Hello”. She said “Do you want a piece of cake?”. I was puzzled and took a moment to think about what she exactly meant. I said: “I didn’t get you, mom. Cake?”. She was silent for a moment and said, “Today is my birthday”. I had never felt so embarrassed in my life. How could I ever forget her birthday? I felt guilty but couldn’t even apologize. In fact, I did not know how to react. I was more ashamed than guilty. There was a tone of sadness in her voice and I was not in a position to console her either. “I have done a mistake I’ll never be able to fix” was what passed my mind that instant. This had never happened before. Even the last year, I had called her on the dawn of 26th, while I was in hostel. She was so elated back then. It was almost the exact opposite of what I had felt in her voice last year. Everything was the opposite. Instead of me ringing her up, she rang me up. Instead of me wishing her, she reminded me of her birthday. Even when everyone at home forgot to wish her, I never had. I remember while I was a kid, I used to present her with handmade birthday cards. I used to do the same during their wedding anniversary. All these memories just came rushing into my mind. She even reminded me of the last Birthday Card I had gifted her when I was eleven. She said it had a smiling face in the centre with arms wide open, which projects out when the card is opened. I had a vague recollection of it. I had made it when we lived in Kolkata. I wished her belated Happy Birthday, its better late than never, I thought. I said sorry for my negligence.

After I hung up the phone, I thought to myself. I had never forgotten to wish any of my friends on their birthday. In fact, I wish them on their birthday eve, at midnight. But this was awful. I wanted to make up for my mistake. I told my friend about what had happened. He asked me to send her a Birthday Card. I was pleased with the idea. My mom would least expect a Birthday Card. The very next day my friend and I went out to the Archies outlet and bought a ‘Belated Birthday Wishes’ card. I am sure mom will be delighted to get a card delivered by post when she might have almost forgotten about her birthday!

2 comments:

Hari said...

I envy you, buddy! You have such nice parents!! :-(

I'm not saying that my parents aren't nice or anything, but, erm, we just don't celebrate birthdays here. Everytime I give mom a b'day card, she just shrugs it off!! Ditto with dad. :-( Conversely, I've never got a tangible birthday gift from parents till date. (If you exclude that '6030' that is... But, technically, it wasn't a present!)

Your post almost moved me to tears. Honest! Hope your mom loves your 'Belated' card. :D

@nuP said...

-> Hari

Its ok buddy. Don't be upset. I'm sure one day they will realize your worth. I'll tell you something, my mom loves me more now, cuz i'm not home. She misses me.
Stay away from home and I swear your parents will miss you like hell! :)

Thank you so much for your heartfelt response.